Contains affiliate links
By Jonathan Rimmel
Imagine the gentle crash of waves and cool tropical air as you rest from your everyday cares. Come meal-time, you crave something just as fresh as the sea itself. This Ahi tuna steak recipe should fit the bill.
Prep: 15 min+, Cook 35 min, Total 50 min, Serves 4
Sugar (Fructose) | Alcohol | Seeds
- Cast Iron or Carbon-Steel Pan
- Sharp Chef’s Knife
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Oven Mitts
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Avocado oil (you could also use coconut oil, but avocado will be more stable at higher temperatures)
- 4 Ahi Tuna Steaks
- 2 Bunches of Fresh Asparagus
- 1 lb Bacon
- 4 C Fresh Slaw
- 2 Tsp Ginger
- 4 TBSP Coconut Aminos
- 6 TBSP Red-Wine Vinegar
- 4 Tsp Organic Honey
- Sesame Seeds
First things first. Get out your tuna steaks and let them get up to room temperature while you are preparing everything else. Then, start heating up your cast-iron pan, as it takes a while. Start at a low heat and slowly bring it up to temperature (about 400-450 degrees).
Now on to the cooking. I’d suggest starting with the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus first. A bit tedious, but definitely worth the effort!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap Asparagus in Bacon (cut down the bacon down the middle length-wise)
- Take your baking sheet and line it with the parchment paper, then place your bacon-wrapped asparagus on it
- Bake the Asparagus in the oven for 15 minutes, take out and turn, bake another 15 minutes
- Mix the ginger, coconut aminos, red-wine vinegar, and honey
- Toss your dressing into the slaw
- Let sit at least 30 minutes. I’d propose doing this even a day before to really let the flavors come out
- Lightly coat the cast-iron pan with the avocado oil
- Lightly coat the steaks with the oil (helps the seasoning to stick)
- Salt & pepper the steaks to taste
- No roll tuna in a nice coating of white & black sesame seeds
- Gently lay the Ahi into the pan (lay away from yourself)
- Grill each piece 45 seconds to 1 minute per side (including all the edges), you want this to be red to dark pink in the middle
- Once that’s done, slice the steak into strips going across the grain
Now to plate.
Lay the tuna steaks onto a bed of the slaw, serving with the bacon-wrapped asparagus on the side. MSN